Why in news?
President of Myanmar visited India recently.
Important Takeaways of the Visit
• Opening of coordinated bus service between
Imphal and Mandalay.
• India’s assistance in the construction of
Integrated Check Point at Tamu, Myanmar,
• India will offer medical radiation equipment
Bhabhatron II for treatment of cancer
patients, and strengthen cooperation in the
• Agreed to have government-to-government
cooperation in petroleum, including in
refinery, stockpiling, blending and retail.
• Extend the Quick Impact Project (QIP)
schemes to Myanmar.
o QIPs mostly cover upgradation of physical
infrastructure such as roads, local
community centres,. These short gestation
projects are aimed to directly benefit
locals, with immediate and visible results.
• India will help Myanmar with the project of e-
ID cards, which is modelled after the Aadhaar
• Both sides agreed to enable the launch of
India’s RuPay Card in Myanmar.
o The RuPay card services has also been
launched in – UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia,
Singapore, Maldives and Bhutan.
• The two sides decided to provide more
projects to Rakhine State Development
• Commitment to continue negotiations on
various pending treaties like Mutual Legal
Assistance Treaty and Extradition Treaty.
Early completion of the Paletwa-Zorinpui road
– the final leg of the Kaladan project.
• Also, recently, under ‘India-Myanmar
Friendship Project’ India has handed over 250
pre-fabricated houses in the Rakhine State for
the rehabilitation of refugees.
• Earlier, Myanmar bought India’s first locallyproduced
anti-submarine torpedo, called TAL
Shyena, in 2017. In 2019 Myanmar acquired a
submarine, INS Sindhuvir.
Related information: Free Movement Regime
• In order to facilitate free movement of the tribal
people along the border of India and Myanmar,
the mechanism of the free movement regime
• Free Movement Regime (FMR) allows the tribes
living along the border to travel 16 km across the
boundary without visa restrictions.
• India, Myanmar have signed Land Border
Crossing Agreement on May 11, 2018, which will
facilitate regulation and harmonization of
already existing free movement rights for
• It facilitates movement of people on the basis of
valid passports and visas which will enhance
economic and social interaction between the
Related news: China-Myanmar Economic Corridor
• CMEC is proposed economic corridor of China
under Belt and Road Initiative providing
connectivity between Myanmar and China.
• It involves a central road and rail transport
infrastructure leading from Southern China’s
Yunnan Province through Muse and Mandalay to
Kyaukphyu in Rakhine State in Myanmar.
• It provides China another node to access the