News: The Union Cabinet has approved Phase II of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen)
Phase II of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen)
• Will be implemented from 2020-21 to 2024-25 in a mission mode
• Will focus on Open Defecation Free Plus (ODF Plus), which includes ODF sustainability and Solid and
Liquid Waste Management (SLWM).
• SLWM component will be monitored on the basis of output-outcome indicators for four key areas: plastic
waste management, bio-degradable solid waste management (including animal waste management),
greywater management and faecal sludge management.
• ODF Plus program will converge with MGNREGA (especially for greywater management) and will
complement the Jal Jeevan Mission.
• Will also work towards ensuring that no one is left behind, and everyone uses a toilet.
Additional Information – Swachh Bharat Mission:
• It is a nationwide cleanliness campaign initiated by Govt. of India on 2nd October 2014.
Aim: It sought to achieve a Clean India by 2019, as a tribute to the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma
o Eliminate open defecation
o Conversion of insanitary toilets to pour
o Eradication of manual scavenging,
o 100% collection and scientific
processing/disposal reuse/recycle of Municipal Solid Waste
o Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen): It aims to improve the levels of cleanliness in rural areas
through Solid and Liquid Waste Management activities and making villages Open Defecation Free
(ODF) and clean. It is implemented by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Jal Shakti
o Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban): It aims at the elimination of open defecation, conversion of
unsanitary toilets to pour flush toilets, eradication of manual scavenging, municipal solid waste
management and bringing about a behavioral change in people regarding healthy sanitation
practices. It is implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
About Jal Jeevan Mission:
• Aim: It seeks to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections
(Har Ghar Jal) to all rural households by 2024.
• Implementing Agency: It will be implemented by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under
the Jal Shakti Ministry.